VDM @ Home
Although VDM remains closed for general admission due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can still bring the Museum home with a free archive of activity ideas and walkthroughs using common household items, our Discovery Detectives collaborative mysteries, print-at-home activity kits, and weekly box kits ... all created by our education staff! Plus, don’t miss our collection of links to local and recommended free online content and tools to keep kids of all ages learning through play. If you enjoy VDM @ Home, please consider making a donation to support our vital nonprofit community resource. Your generosity will allow us to survive this challenging time, continue to share educational resources through VDM @ Home and our Virtual Programs, and reopen to the public as soon as it’s safe.
Archive | Kits | Recommended Resources | Donate | Contact Us
$5 Donation Each
Printable Cooperative Storytelling Mystery Kits
$5 Donation Each
Printable Activity Kits with Templates & Activity Instructions
$25 Each (Include All Activity Materials)
Pre-Order Required. Available for Contactless Pickup or Delivery.
Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
A collection of online services available through JMRL, including eBooks, films, at-home learning resources, and more.
My Music Starts Here’s “Free Spring Program”
A free music program for children 2-7 with video playlists containing fingerplays, songs, steady beat activities, and musical movement, as well as a collection of screen-free audio selections for active listening and mindfulness.
Rock Paper Scissors’ “Project Connect”
A collaborative collection of free downloadable PDF activities from Rock Paper Scissors and various Charlottesville small businesses.
A collection of free art, reading, science, and math resources from illustrators, children’s authors, and educators.
Art & Drawing
- Jarrett Krosoczka’s “Draw Every Day” (YouTube): Drawing videos
- Mo Willems’ “Lunch Doodles” (YouTube): Drawing videos
- Debbie Ridpath Ohi (YouTube): Drawing and crafting videos
- Jarrett Lerner’s “Finish the Comic Strip”: Downloadable drawing and storytelling activities
- Oliver Jeffers’ “Stay at Home Story Time”: Daily virtual read-aloud storytimes
- Mac Barnett (Instagram Stories): Daily virtual read-aloud storytimes
- Kate Messner: Collection of digital resources from authors and illustrators
- Brooklyn Public Library (Facebook): Virtual read-aloud storytimes
- Storyline Online: Picture book read-alouds with celebrated actors
- Follow #OperationStorytime on Twitter and Instagram for read-alongs with favorite authors and celebrities
Science & Math
- Crash Course Kids (YouTube): Grade school science
- SciShow Kids (YouTube): Explores all those curious topics that make kids ask “Why?”
- Animal Wonders (YouTube): See how a wildlife sanctuary in Montana cares for 80+ exotic animals
Music & Movement
- Patty Shukla Kids TV (YouTube): Children’s songs for babies, infants, toddlers, and elementary students
- Super Simple Songs (YouTube): Children’s songs, nursery rhymes, movement and action songs, and more
- The Laurie Berkner Band: Music, songs, and dance for preschoolers
- PBS Kids (YouTube): Curriculum-based media that helps kids develop curiosity and critical thinking skills
- Sesame Street (YouTube): Classic characters you know and love with new content for lifelong learning
- StoryBots: Learn with these animated robots as they answer kids’ biggest questions on YouTube and Netflix
- Khan Academy Kids: Free educational app for kids 2-7
- Hands On as We Grow: Blog of activities, crafts, and art projects for toddlers and school-age children, including Top 10 Indoor Activities for Toddlers and Hundreds of Indoor Activities for Kids Under 5