Date Night Drop-Off
Parents, need a Friday night out? Let the Virginia Discovery Museum watch the kids while you enjoy some much-deserved time to yourselves! Children will have the opportunity to engage in hands-on crafts, games, and activities and enjoy plenty of playtime in our exhibit galleries, all while interacting with other kids in a safe and socially-distanced setting with our fully vaccinated staff. Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, please note that VDM will not provide dinner or snacks during Date Night Drop-Off, so participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program.
Program Details | Upcoming | COVID Policies | FAQs | Contact
Friday, Oct. 15, 2021 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Ages 3-10 (Fully Potty-Trained)
Bibbidi-bobbidi-BOO! Dress up in your kookiest costumes as we get in the Halloween spirit with a magical evening of pumpkin decorating and frighteningly fun playtime in the Museum’s hands-on exhibit galleries.
- Program participants with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from visiting the Museum.
- All program registrants must be potty trained and fully independent in the bathroom.
- All program participants must wear a mask. If a child does not have a mask, one will be provided for them.
- All parents/guardians must sign a waiver during Check-In.
- All program registrants are encouraged to social distance while in the Museum, but this will not be enforced.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
Check-In & Check-Out Procedure
- 5:30-5:45 p.m.: Arrival & Check-In
- Takes place in the Museum’s front lobby area.
- All parents/guardians must sign a waiver before dropping off their child(ren) in the front gallery.
- Playtime is limited to the front gallery until all program participants have arrived.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Program Activities
- Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the Museum will not provide dinner or snacks.
- Participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program.
- Participants are encouraged to pack a water bottle for their child(ren).
- 7:30-7:45 p.m.: Pick-Up & Check-Out
- Parents/Guardians will wait in the lobby area or outside the Museum, and the child will be walked up by a staff member or volunteer.
- All visitors must exit the Museum by 7:45 p.m. to allow for the arrival of VDM’s cleaning crew.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will VDM be open for general admission during Date Nights?
No, VDM will remain closed for general admission visits during Date Night Drop-Offs.
Who else will be in the Museum during Date Nights?
At least one VDM staff member and a Museum volunteer will be present during every Date Night Drop-Off. All staff members and any volunteers who will be in the building have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be wearing masks.
How often is the Museum cleaned?
A crew will be on site following all Date Night Drop-Offs to clean and sanitize. All visitors must exit the Museum by the scheduled Check-Out time before the cleaners arrive.
Registration & Waitlists
What is required to be eligible for Date Night?
Children must be at least 3 years old, potty trained, and fully independent in the bathroom.
What if the Date Night I want to participate in has filled?
Currently, Date Night Drop-Offs have a maximum capacity of 12 children. If you have an interest in a drop-off that is full, please contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x102 to add your child's name to the waitlist. In the event of a cancellation, those on the waitlist will be contacted in the order their requests were received.
Does VDM offer financial assistance for Date Nights?
In accordance with the Museum’s mission, VDM does offer a limited number of scholarships for all of its programs, including Date Night Drop-Offs. For information about applying for a scholarship, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.
How do I apply my 10% annual member discount?
To apply this discount to program registrations made online, you will need to create a Website User Account and link it to your membership record by following these instructions. If you have already created a Website User Account, click the registration link for the program you wish to register for and sign in using the link at the top of the registration page. If you need help applying your 10% discount when using our online order forms, please contact Marketing Manager Matt Berman at email@example.com.
How do I set up my Website User Account?
Did I successfully link my Website User Account and membership?
Contact Marketing Manager Matt Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll make sure everything is all set.
Cancellations & Refunds
What is VDM's cancellation and refund policy for Date Nights?
A minimum of 6 children is required for a program to run. If a program is canceled by the Museum due to insufficient enrollment or other extenuating circumstances, the registration fee will be refunded to all registrants.
Individual cancellations must be made at least 2 weeks before the corresponding program to be eligible for a refund. If an individual cancellation causes the program roster to fall below the required minimum, the refund will be contingent upon the vacancy being filled. If an individual cancellation is made within two weeks of the program, the registration fee will be forfeited. No refunds will be issued after a program begins.
Drop-Off & Pick-Up
Does VDM provide food or should I pack dinner or a snack?
Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the Museum will not provide dinner or snacks during Date Night Drop-Offs. Participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program. Additionally, no food or drinks except for water will be allowed in the building, but families are encouraged to pack a water bottle for their child(ren).
Where can I park to drop off and pick up my child?
VDM validates parking for Museum visitors at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and Museum guests receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk.
To learn more about Date Night Drop-Offs, contact Education Manager Lara Musser at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x106. For scholarship information, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.