Annual Family Halloween Carnival
Every October, get in the Halloween spirit at Boo Bash, the Virginia Discovery Museum’s family-friendly carnival that’s too cute to spook! Dress up in your most creative costumes and join us for one of two evenings of frighteningly fun carnival games, activities, and crafts. Conduct eccentric experiments with UVA L.E.A.D. in the Mad Science Lab, concoct kooky potions in the Witch’s Cabin, light up the night with gobs of ooey-gooey glow-in-the-dark slime, brace yourself for a creepy cryptid encounter in the Ranger Station, watch ghost money disappear right before your eyes, and so much more. Don’t forget to pick out a prize from the Little Shop of Prizes and grab a devilishly delicious cookie from Baggby’s to decorate at home. Boo Bash is one of the Museum’s major annual fundraising events, and proceeds support our educational programs and camps, exhibit creation and maintenance, and Sponsored Admission Program.
Event Details | Sponsors | Tickets | Event Policies | FAQs | Contact
Thank You to Our 2023 Sponsors
Tickets – Choose a Session
- Event registrants with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from attending Boo Bash.
- Masks are encouraged but optional for all event registrants. If a guest does not have a mask and would like one, VDM will provide one for them. Both adult- and child-sized masks are available.
- All event registrants must Check-In at the front desk before their party visits the carnival stations.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
Check-In & Check-Out
- 5:30 p.m.: Doors Open
- Although doors open at 5:30 p.m., event registrants may arrive and check in anytime during the event.
- Check-In takes place in the Museum’s front lobby area.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Carnival Activities, Games & Crafts
- 7:30-7:40 p.m.: Event Ends
- Carnival stations close. Restrooms will remain open until 7:40 p.m.
- All guests must exit the Museum by 7:40 p.m. to allow for the arrival of VDM’s cleaning crew.
- VDM’s coat and stroller room is open and available for event guests to store belongings and strollers, but space is limited on a first-come, first-served basis.
- VDM’s public restrooms are open and available for event guests, and both men’s and women’s restrooms are equipped with changing tables.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often is the Museum cleaned?
VDM will close early at 3:00 p.m. on the first night of Boo Bash so that our staff can clean and set up for the event. The Museum will remain closed the following day for the event’s second night. A cleaning crew will be on site after each Boo Bash night to clean and sanitize. All guests must exit the Museum by the scheduled Check-Out time before the cleaners arrive.
Ticket Reservations & Walk-Ins
What if the Boo Bash night I want to attend has sold out?
Walk-in tickets are $18 per person at the door, space permitting.
Does VDM offer financial assistance for Boo Bash?
In accordance with the Museum’s mission, VDM does offer a limited amount of financial assistance for all of its programs and events, including Boo Bash. For information about applying for financial assistance, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.
How do I apply my 10% annual member discount?
To apply this discount to event ticket purchases made online, you must have an active annual membership and will need to create a Website User Account and link it to your membership record by following these instructions. If you have already created a Website User Account, click the ticket link for the event you wish to register for and sign in using the link at the top of the ticketing page. If you need help applying your 10% discount when using our online ticket forms, please contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x103.
How do I set up my Website User Account?
Did I successfully link my Website User Account and membership?
Contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x103, and we’ll make sure everything is all set.
Cancellations & Refunds
What is VDM's cancellation and refund policy for Boo Bash?
If the event is canceled by the Museum due to extenuating circumstances, ticket fees will be refunded for all guests. Registrants may cancel their tickets to receive a full refund until 5:00 p.m. on Oct. 25, but refunds will not be issued for cancellations made after this deadline or on the event days (Oct. 26 and 27).
Parking & Directions
Where can I park for Boo Bash?
VDM validates parking for Boo Bash guests at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and event guests receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk. The Museum is also located next to the Downtown Transit Station, and Charlottesville Area Transit offers a Free Trolley that stops at the station as it travels through Downtown and the University of Virginia. Click to learn more about parking downtown or more about public bus routes and fares.
Click the icon in the upper left corner for map legend and details.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? To learn more about Boo Bash or to ask about financial assistance, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x102.