Cville’s Best Discovery Spot for Kids 8 & Under
The Virginia Discovery Museum is currently closed for general admission in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, but our fully vaccinated staff is excited to reopen for regular visits at 65 percent capacity starting Sep. 7, 2021. VDM is a nonprofit hands-on children’s museum for families with infants to children age 8 and welcomes more than 70,000 visitors each year to explore, imagine, and discover through play. For nearly 40 years, VDM has facilitated educational, exploratory, and imaginative play and provided enrichment opportunities in literacy, science, math, and the arts for children in preschool and early elementary through interactive Exhibits; sensory, motor, and STEAM Programs; and annual community Events.
Admission & Discounts
Enjoy all-day entry to the Museum! Pay once when you arrive, then come and go as much as you wish until VDM closes at 5:00 p.m. Your receipt serves as your ticket for re-entry. Visitors must have one adult for every four children, and all visitors over the age of 2 must wear a mask inside the Museum. Visiting with a school class or other formally organized community group? Reservations are required for large groups, so please call (434) 977-1025 x102 to book a field trip or private facility rental.
- The Museum is limiting the total number of visitors allowed in the building at a time to 65% of normal capacity.
- All visitors over the age of 2 must wear a mask. If a visitor does not have a mask, one will be provided for them.
- All visitors are encouraged to social distance while in the Museum.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
- Visitors with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from visiting the Museum. Staff may ask a visitor to leave the building if symptoms are present.
Exhibits & Amenities
- VDM’s Amazing Airways and Flight Lab exhibits are currently closed due to COVID restrictions.
- VDM’s public drinking fountain is currently shut down due to COVID restrictions.
- All visitors must leave the Museum by closing time at 5:00 p.m. each day to allow for the arrival of the daily cleaning crew. VDM’s Cleaning Policy can be reviewed in full here.
Parking & Directions
VDM validates parking for Museum visitors at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and Museum guests receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk. The Museum is also located next to the Downtown Transit Station, and Charlottesville Area Transit offers a Free Trolley that stops at the station as it travels through Downtown and the University of Virginia. Click to learn more about parking downtown or more about public bus routes and fares.
Click the icon in the upper left corner for map legend and details.