Cville’s Best Discovery Spot for Kids 8 & Under
Welcome to Charlottesville’s best hands-on discovery spot for families with infants to children age 8! The Virginia Discovery Museum is a small, nonprofit children’s museum and welcomes more than 70,000 visitors each year to explore, imagine, and discover through play across 6,000 square feet of educational play space. Despite our tiny size, we strive to be mighty: For more than 40 years, VDM has facilitated exploratory and imaginative play and provided enrichment opportunities in literacy, science, math, and the arts for children in preschool and early elementary through interactive Exhibits; sensory, motor, and STEAM Programs; and annual community Events.
Location & Hours | Admission | General Policies | Parking | Contact
524 East Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
(Optional for All Visitors)
Admission & Discounts
Enjoy all-day entry to the Museum! Pay once when you arrive, then come and go as much as you wish until VDM closes at 5:00 p.m. Your receipt serves as your ticket for re-entry. Visitors must have one adult for every four children, and kids must be supervised by an adult caregiver at all times. Visiting with a school class or other formally organized community group? Reservations are required for large groups, so please call (434) 977-1025 x102 for more information about booking a field trip or private facility rental.
* Learn More: Sponsored Admission | JMRL Pass Program | Wegmans Wednesdays | Museums on Us® | Blue Star Museums
- Masks are encouraged but optional for all visitors inside the building. If a visitor does not have a mask but would like one, VDM will provide one for them.
- Visitors with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from visiting the Museum. Staff may ask a visitor to leave the building if symptoms are present.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
Exhibits & Amenities
- All visitors must leave the Museum by closing time at 5:00 p.m. each day to allow for the arrival of the daily cleaning crew. VDM’s Cleaning Policy can be reviewed in full here.
Parking & Directions
VDM validates parking for Museum visitors at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and Museum guests receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk. The Museum is also located next to the Downtown Transit Station, and Charlottesville Area Transit offers a Free Trolley that stops at the station as it travels through Downtown and the University of Virginia. Click to learn more about parking downtown or more about public bus routes and fares.
Click the icon in the upper left corner for map legend and details.
To Market Street Garage
To Water Street Garage
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? For more information about the Museum, please visit Museum Rules & FAQs, call (434) 977-1025, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.