Moon Rock Creation
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add paint or food coloring to your mixture. (Optional: Make multiple colors for more variation to your rocks.)
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Dip cotton balls into the flour and paint mixture, then set them on your baking sheet.
- Add different colors of paint to the tops. (Optional: Sprinkle glitter on the tops of your rocks if you have any in the house.)
- Bake moon rocks in the oven at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Younger Children:
- Practice fine motor skills by breaking apart the moon rocks with objects around the house.
- Toss the moon rocks in a bowl of water for a sensory experience.
- Punch holes in the top of a cardboard box, and stick the rocks in the holes.
- Older Children:
- Create the rocks, then switch with a partner. Print and complete the Moon Rocks Observation Sheet.
- Hide the rocks around the house, and try to find as many as you can. Pretend you're in space: Walk like an astronaut would and use garden gloves or other large gloves to pick up the rocks!
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least July 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now