Sensory play supports early learning by building connections in the brain. Combining alphabet practice with tactile experience will help reinforce letter recognition.
- Pour just enough cornmeal into the pie tin to cover the bottom.
- Use your finger to trace letters in the cornmeal.
- Younger Children:
- Say a letter aloud, and ask your child draw it.
- Work on phonics: Make a letter sound, and ask your child to draw the letter that makes the sound.
- Older Children:
- Tell your child a word, and ask them to draw the letter with which it starts.
- Make it more challenging: Ask your child to draw the letter with which the word ends.
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least May 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now