Ahoy! Explore buoyancy as you build a boat that floats. How many penny passengers can your foil ferry carry before it sinks?
- Shape a square of aluminum foil into a boat.
- Place your boat in a tub of water and see if it floats.
- One at a time, gently place pennies into the boat. How many can your boat hold before it sinks?
- Younger Children:
- Talk about the shape of a boat, and help them create that shape with the foil.
- Practice counting out loud as you add pennies to the boat.
- Older Children:
- Build another boat in a different shape, and predict which one will hold more pennies. Test to see if your prediction was correct!
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least May 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now