With the weather heating up, head inside after a day of play to cool down with a homemade slushy! This quick, cool treat takes only a few household items and 5 minutes to make, no freezer required.
- Add 12 ice cubes and 1 tablespoon of salt to the gallon-sized zip lock bag.
- Add 1 cup of juice to the sandwich-sized zip lock bag and seal tightly, removing excess air from the bag.
- Place the bag of juice into the bag of ice and seal, again removing excess air from the bag.
- Shake the bag of ice for 3-5 minutes.
- Open the large bag and take out the slushy bag, serve immediately, and enjoy!
The Science Behind Slushies
The ice in the larger bag absorbs heat from the juice in the smaller bag, and the ice begins to melt. As the ice melts, the salt dissolves in the liquid water and lowers its freezing point. The ice also absorbs heat energy from the salt water as it continues to melt, lowering the salt water’s temperature. As a result, this salty-icy mixture is colder than the ice alone … cold enough to freeze the juice! Shaking the bag helps keep the juice from freezing solid, instead creating the loose, icy crystals that make up your slushy.
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least May 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now