A Few Things to Remember:
- With the help of an adult, cut a design for your stamp in your chosen material.
- Paper Tubes & Scissors: Easy to make but works better with paint than with ink pads.
- Styrofoam & Pencil: Works best with large designs. Letters will come out backwards when stamped if they are etched forwards into the Styrofoam.
- Potato & Knife: Trickiest to make but produces the best results.
- Press your stamp gently into a thin layer of paint or onto your ink pad.
- Press your stamp onto your paper to create a design. Reapply ink or paint as needed.
- Decorate your stamped designs with markers or crayons if you would like.
Did You Know?
Stamping is an ancient art form. It began as a method of communication and artistic expression as early as 5,000 BC in Mesopotamia!
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource but has remained closed for in-person visits since March 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now