Homemade Silly Putty
Scroll through the slideshow above for a visual of each step.
- Add 2 tablespoons of corn starch to the bowl.
- Add 1 ½ tablespoons of dish soap to the bowl.
- Optional: Add a few drops of food coloring.
- Mix the corn starch and dish soap together with the spoon until it becomes difficult to stir.
- Knead the mixture with your hands until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and form a putty.
Tip: Dish soap formulas may vary, so if the putty is too dry, add a tiny bit of dish soap. If the mixture is too runny, add a tiny bit of corn starch. Knead well before adding more.
For a simple science experiment, use the same measurements but switch out the ingredients:
• Substitute flour, sugar, corn meal, or baby powder for the corn starch.
• Substitute laundry detergent, milk, water, or shampoo for the dish soap.
What differences do you notice in the texture? Is there a different smell?
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least July 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now