- Roll a newspaper sheet into a tube and secure with tape.
- Experiment with other ways to shape your newspaper sheets. (For example: fold accordion style, crumple into a ball, etc.)
- Use tape to attach your newspaper shapes together to form a structure.
- What can you build? Try following the Engineering Design Process.
- Younger Children:
- Suggest structures to build, like a house for a doll, a garage for a car, or a skyscraper.
- Practice counting by asking how many tubes they used to create their structure.
- Older Children:
- Try building a replica of a famous structure, like the Eiffel Tower or the Parthenon.
- Present a challenge to complete: Who can build the tallest tower? Can you build a structure that holds a book 12 inches off the ground? Can you build a structure that you fit inside?
Support the Museum
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a vital nonprofit community resource, but we will be closed through at least July 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please consider a donation to support us during this uncertain time. Donate Now